Whether it is due to her unique perspectives on life, her drive to succeed, or simply her delightful personality, Scarlet is well-liked wherever she goes.
Scarlet joined Strong & Hanni in 2016 after finishing a judicial clerkship at the Utah Court of Appeals. Although she focuses her practice on insurance defense, insurance coverage and bad faith issues, and appeals, her experiences at the appellate court have exposed her to a broad scope of legal issues. Moreover, Scarlet is recognized as an effective and accomplished legal writer, having been published and having received numerous writing awards.
A Utah native, Scarlet learned the value of a hard work ethic while growing up in the small agricultural town of Escalante. After an early career as an auto mechanic, she spent several years working on behalf of various health care providers to resolve provider enrollment and comprehensive insurance billing issues, including administrative appeals.
She graduated from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, in psychology and Italian studies (although her Italian degree was likely just an elaborate excuse to live in Torino, Italy for a year where she worked with the U.S. Olympic Committee during the 2006 Winter Olympics). During law school at the University of Utah, Scarlet served on the executive board of the Utah Law Review and also obtained a master’s degree in public administration. She received various recognitions, including certificates for outstanding performance in several courses and the Most Outstanding Student Award (voted by her peers).
When she isn’t working, Scarlet enjoys traveling, photography, jigsaw puzzles, and watching college sports (Go Utes!).
Women Lawyers of Utah, Board Member and Co-Chair of the Retreat Committee
David K. Watkiss – Sutherland II Inns of Court, Member and Pegasus Scholarship Finalist
Utah State Bar Leadership Academy, Member
Utah Defense Lawyers Association
Defense Research Institute
National Pi Alpha Alpha Manuscript of the Year Award
National Association of Women Lawyers Award
Commendation from Senator Harry Reid for advocacy on behalf of foster children (prior to law school)
2017 Pegasus Scholar
American Inns of Court
Judicial Clerkships & Externships
Utah Court of Appeals
Law Clerk, Judge Kate A. Toomey
Judicial Extern, Judge Michele M. Christiansen
Federal District Court, District of Utah
Judicial Extern, Judge Dale A. Kimball
Judicial Extern, Magistrate Judge Evelyn J. Furse
Jensen Tech Services & Sentinel Ins. Co. Ltd. v. Labor Commission & Sergio Herrera, 2022 UT App 18
- Utah Court of Appeals reverses the Labor Commissions determination that a workers’ compensation claimant was an employee.
Dale K. Barker Co. PC CPA Profit Sharing Plan v. Turner, 2021 UT App 119
- Utah Court of Appeals affirms the district court’s judgment, awarding damages and attorney fees on breach of contract claim.
Kirk v. Anderson, 2021 UT 41(https://www.utcourts.gov/opinions/supopin/Kirk%20v.%20Anderson20210805.pdf)
- Utah Supreme Court affirms the district court’s summary judgment, holding an independent medical examiner owes no duty of care to those they examine and experts are not liable if their professional opinions cause delays in legal proceedings.
Battino v. Redi-Carpet Sales of Utah, LLC, No. 20-4081 (10th Cir. Sept. 13, 2021)
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit affirmed summary judgment, dismissing a complaint for employment discrimination.
Bowles v. Grant Trucking, LLC, No. 19-4135 (10th Cir. Jan. 8, 2021)
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit affirmed summary judgment, holding that the plaintiff had not established the defendant qualified as an employer under ADA.